FAQs About Galas
What is a gala?
A gala is a swimming competition. Leicester Neptune Swimming Club swimmers take part in a range of galas. These include: league galas where we swim as team to collect points; open meets where swimmers compete individually; development galas to learn the skills needed for competition; Masters meets where you must be over 25; and open water races.
How do I get picked to swim for Leicester Neptune Swimming Club?
Swimmers are picked for our teams based on their personal best times. Check the club noticeboard and your email to find out whether you have been selected.
The age group that you compete in may change throughout the year depending on the competition and when your birthday falls.
I have never been to a gala before, so how do I get personal best times?
To get times for our swimmers, we hold regular time trials during training sessions. We also hold our own Sprint Gala , Age Group and Championship Competitions which are open to all club members, no time required.
What should I do when I get to a gala?
- Try to arrive 10 minutes before the warm up starts.
- Sign in with the team manager. They will be wearing our team kit.
- Get changed. You can usually bring your bag on to the poolside. If not, money for a locker maybe required, which is refundable.
- You can usually warm up for 15 minutes. Swim slowly, practice your turns and finishes (especially on back stroke). You will be told whether you are allowed to practice starts.
- Stay with the team manager throughout the gala. You will need to be signed out by a parent/carer from the team manager to go home.
What do I need to bring to a gala?
- Swimming costume/trunks/jammers.
- LNSC swimming hat (this will make you swim faster).
- Goggles. You may also want to bring a spare pair.
- A LNSC T-shirt and shorts or track suit bottoms to keep yourself warm between races.
- An extra towel to dry yourself between races.
- A non-fizzy drink in a plastic bottle.